Stop Virus Attacks
A computer virus spreads from host to host, just like a flu virus does. The hosts here are programming, like a document or file, or malicious code designed to change the way a computer operates. Viruses attach to legitimate programs in order to execute harmful codes. They can damage software, lock programs and destroy data.
What is Anti-Virus Software?
Antivirus software is a program or group of programs designed to locate and eradicate computer viruses and other malicious software, also known as malware. Antivirus software provides protection against these types of threats by:
- Pinpointing specific files for the detection of malicious software
- Scheduling automatic scans
- Scanning either one file or your entire computer at your discretion
- Deleting malicious codes and software
- Confirming the safety of your computer and other devices
More Information About Viruses
- Virus Basics - Department of Homeland Security
- Understanding Anti-Virus Software - Department of Homeland Security
Which Software Should You Use?
Deciding which software will best meet your needs can be confusing. Most anti-virus software operates in the same or similar fashion. Your decision may be driven by recommendations, features, or price. Installing any anti-virus software will increase your level of protection, which is why this tip made the list of the Top 5 Cyber Hygiene Essentials.